Wednesday, June 08, 2011

.Free Fun.

Photobucket


How does a couple keep their marriage fresh and alive! I've been married for almost 7 years and although we love each other more today than we did 7 years ago, 4 kids later (and #5 coming!) it's hard to get in time for just the two of us that fit into the budget! :) I'd love to hear creative ways of getting Husband and Wife time on a budget.

Wow. How to have fun on a budget. There are so many things that come to mind for me, but I think they all come back to one fundamental question: Do you have to be alone?

In our marriage, the most fun times come as a family. There is nothing more fun and romantic than strolling down the path lagging behind the kids, whether because they are in the stroller or running up ahead, and enjoying life with each other. It's those moments of watching our kiddos do all the fun and crazy things that 1, 2, and 5 year olds do that drive conversations of who I was as a boy, or who Tiffany was as a little five year old.

This can only happen is a few things are true:

1. Mom and Dad have to love spending time as a family.

2. Going to the zoo, for a family walk, or out for ice cream cannot be about endurance.... it must be about enjoyment.

3. Both Mom and Dad have to want to see it as fun and romantic.

"Being in a hurry. Getting to the next thing without fully entering the thing in front of me. I cannot think of a single advantage I've ever gained from being in a hurry. But a thousand broken and missed things, tens of thousands, lie in the wake of all the rushing.... Through all that haste I thought I was making up time. It turns out I was throwing it away." — Ann Voskamp

The biggest lesson I have been learning in marriage and in life is that only rookies hurry. I don't want to be that rookie any more. To be who I desire, I must surrender many things-including the illusion that I am a perfect parent or husband... but in so doing, I gain moments that forever change and shape my relationships.

Bottom line: There is no secret to free 5 star restaurants and trips to the Bahamas... but there are an abundance of free moments, that when grasped and treasured can do far more that a $100 steak or a 10 thousand dollar second honeymoon!

Subscribe in a reader

2 comments:

Aunt Kathy said...

Very good Jim. You two are an inspiration to me!!!! Love you all!!! ~A~K~

Ashley said...

I find this so interesting that you say this. I just asked my husband for a date and he answered with, I dont really mind going out with the kids.I was not expecting to hear that at all, and I said- well that says a lot about how our toddler behaves and your commitment/enjoyment of family