Thursday, September 09, 2010

.Count the Cost.

My family is in the process of adopting, and one of the funny nuances of adoption is money. It is so akward for me to look at a dollar figure and say: "Can I afford to adopt?"

I have always felt that you do not chose to expand your family based on your budget... but is that biblical?

Now great multitudes went with Him. And He turned and said to
them, “If anyone comes to Me and does not hate his father and
mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters, yes, and his own
life also, he cannot be My disciple. And whoever does not bear
his cross and come after Me cannot be My disciple. For which
of you, intending to build a tower, does not sit down first and
count the cost, whether he has enough to finish it—lest, after
he has laid the foundation, and is not able to finish, all who see it
begin to mock him, saying, ‘This man began to build and was not
able to finish’? Or what king, going to make war against another
king, does not sit down first and consider whether he is able
with ten thousand to meet him who comes against him with
twenty thousand?
Or else, while the other is still a great way
off, he sends a delegation and asks conditions of peace. So
likewise, whoever of you does not forsake all that he has cannot
be My disciple. ~Luke 14

Now, here Christ says that in order to be a disciple (follower) of Christ [not some extra-special-super-Christian], a person must count the cost of following Him.

So here is my question: Does that mean we should constantly be asking ourselves"Is it worth it?" or does it mean that at a point in time we ask, then live our life with the answer "yes, God"?

Here's the thing: The answer is not simple. We grow, things change. Life happens. Choices get complex.

Here's where I am at: I want my life to count for His glory. So, with eyes wide open to the reality that life is hard and clinging to the Truth that life is short, I want to blindly say, "Yes God."

Why? Because I trust You, God. You will never leave me or forsake me, You will never give me anything I can't handle, and You are sufficient!

Subscribe in a reader

No comments: