Thursday, July 01, 2010

I have been reading the David Platt book Radical... It is amazing how a person can pick up a book and be so transformed... It is almost as though God walks before and sets up every minute detail into our life before we are anywhere near it. (I am a bit sarcastic, so if you didn't catch it... HE DOES DO THAT!)

So here I am, reading the book when I find myself completely broken by a concept that is earth shattering, but not new! It is the reality that Christ, in the Garden of Gethsemane cried to the point of sweating tears of the reality of the "cup."

And what is that cup?


It is the cup of God's wrath.


This is what Jesus is recoiling from in the Garden. All God's holy wrath and hatred toward sin and sinners, stored up since the beginning of the world, is about to be poured out on Him, and He is sweating blood at the thought of it.


What happened at the cross was not primarily about nails being thrust into Jesus' hands and feet but about the wrath due your sin and my sin being thrust upon His soul. In that holy moment, all the righteous wrath and justice of God due us came rushing down like a torrent on Christ Himself. Some say, "Good looked down and could not bear to see what the suffering that the soldiers were inflicting on Jesus, so He turned away." But this is not true. God turned away because He could not bear to see your sin and my sin on His Son.


(from Radical, by David Platt)


If that is not enough to rock your world little is... And to be honest, yesterday I was struggling with some real shame. I know that the shame was not of God, because that is not how He works... but sometimes an honest evaluation of yourself is hard to swallow.


So today I have rejected shame and embraced Romans 7:24-8:2.


"O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? I thank
God-through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, with the mind I myself serve the law
of God, but with the flesh the law of sin. There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus, who do not walk according to the Spirit. For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death."

Thank You God... Thank You Jesus... I am FREE! Spirit, Lead me.





No comments: